Home

***LATEST NEWS***

About us

Dog show dates & schedules

Older News

Pictures from our shows

Testimonials

A most noble dog - Bosun

Things unsafe for dogs

General show information

Links

Other companion & fun dog shows





Ingestible items unsafe for dogs 

IMPORTANT NOTE:

If your dog eats something that you think is dangerous then get your emergency vet to call the Veterinary Poisons Information Service on 020 7188 0200 (service for vets only) who will advise them on the toxin and treatment required. Some vets hold a 'TOXBOX' which is available 24 by 7. VetsNow (across the UK) is one such vets, we hope none of us needs this service but it nice to know that is available.

This page is a work in progress to alert dog owners to the dangers of ingestible items that can be really harmful to dogs.

This list is based on our research and observations, and is not a medically-endorsed document.

In all cases, if you are unsure about anything your dog may have ingested contact your vet as soon as possible.

Grapes and items including raisins (which are in fact dried grapes) 

Mince pies and fruit cake - these may contain raisins 

Batteries

Lillies including pollen and bulbs (Onions and Garlic are part of this family) 

Chocolate especially any with high cocoa content

Antifreeze -
Urgent contact vet immediately

Sugar-free foods (eg yoghurt, chewing gum, also certain brands of peanut and other nut butter etc), particularly those containing Xytlitol - Urgent contact vet immediately
 

Anything containing macadamia nuts 

Onions 

Garlic 

The seeds/stones of apples, apricots, cherries, peaches and plums 

Avocados 

Broccoli 

Anything containing caffeine 

Hops 

Nutmeg 

Rhubarb leaves 

Salt 

Tomatoes 

Yeast/bread dough 

Garden bark derived from cocoa 

Slug pellets 

Potato peelings and green potatoes 

Human vitamins (especially any containing iron) 

Fertilisers 

Cleaning agents 

Detergents 

Moth balls  

Any non-canine medications